Recently I read a post by Seth Godin about the “laboratory” vs the “factory” mentality and it really resonated with me.
Seth went on to encourage creativity in a laboratory / discovery / scientific spirit.
In the laboratory:
- we are dreamers
- we don’t know how things will turn out
- we don’t know or care if we can “sell” what we are making
- we may not even know what we will find
- we allow time to search
The lab is all about discovery and exploration.
In the factory:
- we are “task masters”
- we do what works, over and over so that
- we can sell more
- we tighten up the speed, efficiency and costs involved with producing our stuff
- we don’t waste time “searching” for a different way
The factory is about predictability and production.Continue Reading