Summary Episode 26:
A native of Italy, D’Agostino has made his considerable international mark as a musical artist on the guitar since he arrived in America 37 years ago. In 2017 Guitar Player listed him as one of the 50 transcendent superheroes of the acoustic guitar.
The CD, “Every Step of The Way,” was awarded by Acoustic Guitar’s People’s Choice Awards with a Bronze medal for Best Acoustic Album of All Time. His signature Seagull acoustic guitar has been voted among the ten best signature guitars by Guitar Player magazine.
To date, Peppino has recorded 19 CD’s, performed in over thirty-seven countries at international festivals and concert halls. He has shared the stage with such greats as Leo Kottke, Sergio Assad, Larry Carlton, Eric Johnson, Tommy Emmanuel, Martin Taylor, Roland Dyens, David Tanenbaum, and many more.
(Timestamps are for audio version of the podcast.)
- 00:25 Introducing Peppino D’Agostino
- 1:49 Greetings!
- 2:35 Peppino’s early influences
- 3:53 How he listened to Santana, John McLoughlin, John Renbourn, Leo Kottke & more…
- 4:51 Peppino’s unconventional musical education – learning without formal lessons
- 5:42 How orchestras and bands drive his musical inspiration
- 12:18 Peppino talks about his classical guitar approach to steel string guitar
- 18:43 An adventure into recording a jazz rock / acoustic fusion album
- 20:22 Learn about Adam & Peppino’s “Sicily Guitar Retreat” September 11-15, 2023 (more info available at musicworldretreats.com)
- 27:14 Peppino’s 5 unexpected favorite albums of all time…
- 31:28 What is Peppinoi practicing currently
- 34:45 Peppino’s final advice for guitarists
- Peppino’s Website
- Peppino’s Guitar Workshops and Music World Retreats