Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 50:16 — 57.8MB) | Embed
For iTunes and Spotify click "More" Stitcher | RSS | More
Summary, Episode 6:
Interview with legendary percussive guitar innovator Preston Reed.
One of the most influential and innovative guitarists of the past quarter century, Preston Reed invented integrated percussive guitar playing in the late 1980’s, revolutionising the way the acoustic guitar is played and inspiring generations of musicians around the world ever since.
Employing multi-voiced grooves, polyrhythmic percussion and story-telling compositions, Reed’s visionary approach fully exploits the breathtaking orchestral potential of the acoustic guitar.
In this episode of the Fingerstyle Guitar Hangout Podcast, Preston Reed and I chat about:
- 3:56 How he developed his unique style in the 1980’s.
- 5:05 The question how to play drums & guitar at the same time?
- 5:36 His inspirattion of Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Healy and Stanley Jordan.
- 7:30 How he developed a “drums first” approach.
- 11:11 His compositional process – sometimes inspired by mistakes and wrong notes…
- 18:03 His influences ranging from Beatles, Animals, Zombies to Big Bands and Film soundtracks.
- 20:42 Preston’s experience studying classical guitar as a young player.
- 25:00 Techniques used – 2 hands playing one line .
- 26:32 All about his custom guitar built by Mark Bailey and why does he have velcro pasted to the back?
- 29:45 the pickup configuration Preston uses.
- 33:06 Preston’s other (non-guitar) hobbies.
- 34:51 What advice would he give other guitarists?
- 37:00 Preston talks about his love for jazz and his CD “Spirit” recorded on an archtop guitar!
- 42:49 Closing track “The Last Viking”from the CD “In Here, Out There”
- Visit Preston Reed’s Website at https://www.prestonreed.com
Leave a Reply