Summary, Episode 3:
In this episdode you will hear an exclusive interview with Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar Master Tony McManus.
In this episode Tony tells us what Celtic music is, his influences & background plus he demonstrates techniques on the guitar live for us.
- 4:53 Tony tells us what Celtic music is, where it’ from & describes the spirit behind it.
- 10:00 Tony plays his arrangement a popular Irish tune from the band “Planxty” – demonstrates scales in DADGAD tuning.
- 12:16 Tony shows fiddle ornamentation with the left hand.
- 13:05 Tony adds a bassline to the “Planxty” arrangement.
- 14:00 I ask Tony to play we reminice about meeting at the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society in Nashville.
- 15:55 Tony talks about & demonstrates a piece with deft hammer ons – “Sandizan” by Soïg Siberil .
- 22:39 Similarities of ornamentation in middle eastern music to Irish music.
- 23:45 Teaching advanced students – getting them out of their comfort zone.
- 24:39 Demonstration of a piece in 9/8 time.
- 27:03 Tony admits limitations and likes the challenges.
- 27:23 Tony describes Beppe Gambetta’s guitar festival and how he began his explorations of Bach.
- 35:48 Fingernails & Technique – Tony uses nails like flatpicks.
- 37:39 Tony’s duo with Julia Koaspern
- 38:50 Tony unveils a mini Mike Greenfield Guitar
- 40:11 I ask Tony – what things should guitarists do differently?
- 43:07 Tony talks about Pat Metheny’s unexpected pick thickness.
- 44:40 Tony’s talks about his CD “Mysterious Boundaries” and upcoming CD projects.
- 50:00 Does Tony play other styles or instruments?
- 51:21 Parting thoughts – his wonder with music around the world & different cultures.
- You can find Tony’s website online at https://www.tonymcmanus.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TonyMcManusMusic/